sv Elysium

Cruising thrugh Life

 

 

Funny, when we started working on the hawse pipes I knew they were the original spn bronze ones. A couple of them had some cracks and I understood they were thin. I like somethimg stout and wanted something line would never cut through so we planned on replacing them. And like all good home builder / refurbisheres I thought I could save some money and sell the ones we removed and didn't show any cracks. Heck, someone might want to replace one on their boat and they wouldn't want to mix and match. Boy was I ever wrong. Removed Hawse Pipe

It took a phillips screw driver, chisel, hammer, plenty of acetone and lots of elbow grease to get them out. Once I had removed them I realized that selling them would impossible. What I never thought to do when we started the project was set some barrels up for collecting the metal. I think had I had one for wire, brass/bronze, stainless steel, and any other kind of steel I could have recouped another grand or so. In then end everything helps the refurbish kitty.

Once the were all removed and the hull around them was cleaned and polished I began fitting the new ones. The first thing discovered was that the new ones were smaller! Our supplier had sent over a cardboard tube that we were able to use to shim them in. I cut the tubes the hull thickness on the saw and soaked them in Low Viscosity epoxy. Then making a slurry of epoxy with a silica / glass fiber filler I glassed them in the to large of opening.

After glassing I used a dremel to make the outside perfectly flush with the hull. Now the true artistry of the home builder comes into play. From too large an opening to to small. I used a combination square to discover where the two pieces would met and then with the dremel and a small sander attached ground away the filler. I slide in the new hawse pipe to see where it would fall and then worked to match the All gooped upother side. The hull is not perpendicular to the deck coaming so I had to work to get the joint in the middle to match and make sure both fit well. I ended up on some cutting some of the hawse off of the long piece and even ground the bottom or top of the fitting so it would mate flat wit the hull. Once I had them cut and roughly matched I needed to fit the hose. Cutting and fitting the hose to barely go in the space between the hull and deck wasn't an easy job either. Each end of the hose needed to mate with the hull or deck. I had to cut it as close as I could because the hawse pipes fit inside the hose and the hose then is hoes clamped onto the pipes providing a water proof seal. All was dry fitted prior to final assembly.

At this time I needed a helper and the wife entered with all her wit, wisdom, and directions. We used 101 to mate the surface to the hull andHawse Pipes Finished screwed down the piece with #12 SS sheetmetal screws. To avoid breaking the screws in the glass we obviously drilled pilot holes. Bedded the screw head and ran them home. All the while we needed to fit the hose. So it was 1) Spread on the sealant, 2) lift hold hose in place with two hose clamps on, 3) set hawse pipe in place (hose would remaine) 3) scew down the fitting and clean up. The other side was now to put in the hawse pipe etc and fhe final item was to tighten down the hose clamps making sure they didn't fall off the edges of the hawse pipes.

For a gallery view of the entire project....

 

All images and content copyright of David A. Kall