sv Elysium

Cruising thrugh Life

Raw Opening

Installation

 

The largest error we've made in working on boat projects is begining without having the needed materials.

Obviously you'll miss something. Boat builders have a parts dept that when they need something they walk 100' and pick it up.Working on a project boat in the back yard or at a boat yard we found searching for parts, tools, and components ate up a great deal of time. The better organized one is the less time the project will take. We ended up driving to buy tubing benders; twice, because the first set of "cheap" ones wouldn't actually fit the tubing. So we had to take it back to Harbor Freight; (we showed them, received our money back and they actually put it back on the shelf to sell- amazing, then drove to a refrigeration supply and bought a high quality one. Had we done that the first time we might have saved a day's travel and still ended up paying the same.

First we cut and laid out the blue board without any foam. I numbered the pieces so I would know how they all went together. Once I knew what went where I could fill in the voids. The curvature of the hull offered the largest void so after we painted all the raw glass we layered two layers of the Space Insulation from FourWinds (ps-Glacierbay evaluation of the material wasn't too glowing) but I had it anyway so I used it. The biggest factor for me was the Aluminum coating on two fronts and one back. Boat hulls are really transclucent and I didn't want UV sneeking in the outside to warm our boxes up. The boxes will take enough energy anyway. So we lined the hull with the Space Insulation and then I made a 1/2 plywood board, cut 15 or so 1 1/2" holes in it and lined it with visqueen. I had marked on the side of the opening where I would be with a straight piece of blueboard and I tacked it in place there and poured foam into the holes. I did about 6 or 7 pours not wanting the foam to break anything and making sure I had as few gaps as possible form the gassing. Once poured and cured I removed the plywood and had a flat surface to lay the blueboard against.

I now had the outboard side ready I began laying in permanently the blueboard. I overlaped all the edges and used spray foam to seal any gaps.

Once I ended up with where the liners would go I stopped and began the fitting of the liners. At this time I also had made up some 1" pieces of blueboard (I had some 3/4" blueboard and 1/4" blueboard I taped together) and I used them to create patterns for the Vacuum Panels (VPs) we would order. This way I ended up with panels exactly the size I needed and where I wanted them, although it would mean a delay in finishing up the boxes.

While we waited for the VP's I began working on the liners. We placed the coldplates as height in the boxes we could and marking where the attachement holes were in the places I marked and drilled the liners. I then attached two pieces of 1/2" ply to the boxes and using wellnuts attached the coldplates to the liners. Placing the liners in the boxes with the coldplates we were ready to layout and attach the refrigerant lines.

I've created a pictoral history of the various stages of the works: General Installlation, Insulation, Layout, and Liners.

All images and content copyright of David A. Kall