ElysiumDrawing

 

 

Layout: Figuring out what goes where is harder than actually installing the parts.

We knew where the boxes would go. The hard part was getting everything to match and work together. I drew out the sizes and figured out the insulation thicknesses. We choose Blueboard (from Lowes) and for two sides we used We knew where the boxes went. The hard part was now getting everything to match up and work together. I drew out the sizes and figured out the insulation thicknesses. We choose Blueboard (from Lowes) and for two sides we used 4 Vacuum Panels from Rparts . The sides with the vacuum panels on we can always remove the sides and replace the panels if and when they fail. This idea failed misserably. 15 years later I explain. Looking at the picture on the aft inside, the inboard, and the small ply are all planned to be removable. We made them that way so if we have to / or choose to remove and replace the panels we can. All the other panels required the removal of the liners to get to any out. That would again be a humongous undertaking, one I never hoped to do again. But I did in 2020. Where the vacuum panlels are we planned 3" of insulation. If the vacuum panels failed we still have approx R 15. On the bottom we have 6" and on the forward side we have 6". The outboard side we have a min of 6" (because of the curvature of the hull some places are approx 8". Further, on the outboard side I used the AeroSpace material from 4 Winds (no longer in business). After I purchased the material I discovered it isn't as effective as advertised. What it does have is as triple Aluminium UV barrier. Boat hulls are translucent and let UV in so this was an effort to reduce heat transfer via the hull. The compressor installation is next to the boxes. That compartment will have complete access. We cut the top of the seat open and I can screw it down for securing. The drop board then provides and easy check. I hope the sides with the vacuum panels can always e replaced when they fail. Looking at the picture on the upper right the inside ply and the aft ply and the small ply are all removable. We made them that way so if we have to / or choose to remove and replace the panels we can. All the other panels would require the actual removal of the liners to get to them and that would again be a humongous undertaking, one I never hoped to do again. Where the vacuum panlels are we created 3" of insulation so if the vacuum panels fails we still have approx R 15. On the bottom we have 6" and on the forward side we have 6" and on the outboard side we have a min of 6" (because of the curvature of the hull some places are approx 8". Further, on the outboard side I used the Space material from 4 winds. My research (after I purchased the material) showed that it wasn't really as effective as advertised but it has a triple Aluminium barrier. Boat hulls are translucent and let UV in so this was in effect to eliminate heat transfer via the hull.

The other pages relating to this subject are: Overview, Installation, and Finished (not).

I've created a pictoral history of the various stages of the works: General Installlation, Insulation, Layout, and Liners.